13 August 2008

State Fair Day

our nephew & niece, Adam (3) & Amelia (5) Miller enjoying
their lunch during the show

Adam in between "helping out"; he loves to lead people of any age around with a "halter"/string.

Alan on the left; Cathy on the right

Papa & Adam eagerly anticipating the results


For the second straight year, Arlan and I have ventured down to the great capital of Springfield for the Illinois State Fair. And like the previous year, we attended the fair on the open cattle show day. Arlan grew up north of Gridley on an angus farm which continues to grow & grow and which 2 of his siblings, Alan & Cathy - both seen showing in picture #2, are involved. Now being raised on a grain farm in Iowa, I thought I knew what county & state fairs were all about...I was mistaken. When it comes to showing cattle, I was introduced to a whole new world! Arlan's parents were also in the stands that day to cheer on the family & to see how each of their heifer's (they've already sold) placed; the obvious business sense here is: the better you do in shows, the better for business. It's always very fascinating to me how getting the heifer to stand in just the right position with their neck held high and their legs placed just right effects their placement within each class/division...also imagine trying to hold an 800-1200 lb. animal still! So while this looks all very simple, next time you're at the state fair-head on in to the cattle ring & ask for Alan & Theresa Miller...you'll be amazed at the complexity of what "showing cows" really means!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Hey!!! I'm so glad you have a blog so I can see you (even if it is rather impersonal, it's better than nothing, right?!). Thanks for leaving the comment so I could find you. Don't have any comments about showing cattle...I don't know much of anything about farming, but always am amazed at what it all entails. Hope to see you soon!!

Alesa said...

Somehow I think your state fair experience was quite different than mine ;)

hee...hee...

Tami said...

just thought i should mention that i'm reading all your great posts!!! i'm notorious for reading people's blogs and never commenting.