28 August 2008

"Lifesong" & Youth Jam

Ah, some freshmen in high school perspective...

So last Friday, I began to introduce my freshmen World History students to the concept of being a patron during the Renaissance in Europe...for those of you wondering what the Renaissance was, it's time period of history (1300-1600) that created a rebirth of art & learning (think Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, etc.) & if you were a patron of the arts, you tended to be wealthy & give money, support, time, etc. to artists, sculptors, & writers. While I've probably just bored you for the last few sentences, the data is important to appreciate the story; and here goes...

Mrs. Miller: So let me give you a modern day example of patronage...I am a patron of Banana Republic. Who knows what B.R. is?

Student #1 (overzealous teenage girl, flapping her raised hand wildly): It's a clothing store!

Mrs. Miller: Yep, that's right; unfortunately, I probably patronize B.R. too much :) Here's another example: I also patronize an organization called Lifesong. Lifesong is a non-profit organization that works with helping orphans world-wide & educating people about orphans. Has anybody heard of Lifesong?

(sidebar: I probably should have said "Lifesong for Orphans" at this point)

Student #2 (suave freshman boy raises his hand): I've heard of Lifesong.

Mrs. Miller (shocked! my heart is leaping through my wide smile...I'm thinking Andy, Gary, someone must have talked at his church...and he's probably a little Christian boy-Yeah!): REALLY! That's great...how do you know about Lifesong?

(Here's the kicker...)

Student #2: Well, it's Casting Crown's song!

Hmm, not quite the answer my heart was hoping for, but it certainly did bring a smile to my face & of course, I didn't have the heart to embarrass him & tell him that we were talking about completely different ideas.

...and I'm glad I didn't embarrass him because just today as I was going around the last 10 minutes of class, helping students with homework (and general organization skills - after all, they are freshmen), Student #2 hands me a note; yep, that's right - a note! A handwritten, "I put effort into this" note! Turns out he probably does have some Christian background/influence, as the note turned out to be a hand-drawn pamphlet advertising "Youth Jam": a youth group get-together this Sat. night in Morton from 5-10pm...food, games, worship, etc. will all be there & he invited me! Isn't that great...I still am smiling from my little note :) Furthermore, I feel blessed that Jesus has used me & my words to touch him in a way that he, a 15 year old boy in high school, trusts me with an invite such as this! Praise Jesus!

Side note #2: the host church for Youth Jam is directly behind our condo here in Morton! If we go, I'll keep you posted. :)