06 May 2011

Friday's Funny-humbly speaking...

So at first, this post wasn't a Friday Funny....but now looking back, I can chuckle because my little darling wasn't hurt-only her mother's pride.

About 2 months ago, we went out to dinner with Orlan & Carol at Outback Steakhouse in Bloomington. Once finished we headed to the car & I was putting Haven in her car seat. She always likes seeing & playing with my car keys, so I flung them over to the front driver seat [as WAS my custom] and buckled her in. I must have hit the lock button on our opener because once I shut her car door, poor little Haven was locked in...and, I'm pretty sure my stomach HIT the ground and my heart starting pounding a mile a minute!

I'm such a terrible mother.

Will someone notice Haven & call DCFS?

Will Haven think I'm abandoning her?

What in heck was I thinking?

My usual, quick-thinking, clear-headed husband didn't speak & I really needed him to react much quicker than he did. To Arlan's credit, he still says "I couldn't believe it had really happened!" :)

While I was trying to locate a locksmith on my smart phone, up pulls our good friends, Brian & Katie with their daughter Hannah.
[side note: while we don't see them often enough, we seem to pick the most random locations to accidentally hook up: Indy's Keystone Mall for instance or Tanner's Orchard's or in this case, Outback Steakhouse while I've locked Haven in the car]

Brian quickly jumped into action, looking for something in his trunk that could pry between the door...to no avail. Thus I convinced Arlan that because a child was in danger, calling 911 was our best option. Haven by no means, was in danger, crying, or even in distress but what if a locksmith took 3 hours?

The Bloomington Fire Dept. was dispatched and had Haven happily out (she loves firetrucks) in under 5 minutes from the time I placed the call. Grandpa Miller had kept her entertained my making faces through the car window during our short wait.
The whole ordeal took under 15 minutes.

And of course, our good friends, Brian & Katie, who we see not near enough but at random places....also happened to have their camera along...of course :)












and here are our 2 darlings, only about 1 week before my car-locking incident...we had stopped by after church to catch up, and coincidentally had them dressed alike...of course!
the story of our friendship-it's meant to be Brian & Katie...no getting rid of us!

1 comment:

KKurz said...

:) ....and the whole time, Haven was cool as a cuke. Good times. :)