25 May 2012

rabbit stew, anyone?

**WARNING...pictures may be graphic*** :)

I like to consider myself a hard-working, Iowa girl who can handle, make that "tackle", most any task in front of me...my pride, when not held in check, likes to think I can do some things that other women would not like or even could not, do...hmm, my pride was greatly humbled yesterday morning during my weekly mowing chore...

The rabbits in this town like my flowers...I've tried many ways to deter them: fences, Irish Spring soap & yes, even dried blood (it's disgusting mind you, and if you can stand the smell, dried blood tends to work the best)...we've tried adding sod to our fence line to ensure they can't burrow into our yard...Haven and I even run after them trying to scare them into submission...she just thinks she is trying to catch one so she can pet them. [what she doesn't know won't hurt her, right?]

Yesterday while mowing however, my instant dislike/hatred for the neighborhood rabbits changed as I came across a rabbit who had met it's Maker...yep, right there in the small garden we just planted to honor my Dad, a rabbit was comatose (aka dead as a doornail...where does that phrase come from anyway?) in our landscaping...I stopped the mower & looked at it for a few minutes with several thoughts running through my mind...

"oh, that's sad"

"I wonder what killed him?"

"maybe it's the flowers we laced with poison...just kidding" [smirk-smirk]

"Does his family know?  Do they miss him?"

"oh, why couldn't he have made it to the neighbor's yard so it's their problem?"

"hmm...garbage day is Monday"

"oh NO!  flies are starting to set in!"

"uh-OH!  Arlan is going to want me to take care of this...oh, boy!  oh, boy!"

Yep, sure enough...after a quick call to my husband, his only reassurance was, "yes, Katie...you need to take care of this as the hot sun is only going to make it worse"...UGH! 

So with shovel in hand, a large garbage bag to serve as his tomb & for me, God's grace and sense of bravery, Mr. Dead Rabbit is now waiting for Monday to meet our garbage man. 

Let me till you, riga mortise sets in quite quickly with rabbits :)





Side note: Haven was inside watching Winnie the Pooh this 10 minute drama happened.

2 comments:

Jolynn said...

This was hilarious Katie! You are braver than I. Did I ever tell you about the dead mouse in my washer (it was empty, mind you, but still gross)? Rodents are not for this farm girl that is for sure! Good for you for getting rid of the dead rabbit!

megs @ whadusay said...

Ugh! You are a good woman Katie. I can't say I'm sad about the rabbit. They've been eating too many of my flowers for me to say anything but good riddance. :)