15 October 2008

7 Random Facts

So my friend Rebekah has tagged me...instead of tagging others, I'm going to list my 7 random facts & if this breaks up the entire "tagging" system, I'm sorry; but I have never been a fan of chains, forwards, etc...

1. I student taught in New Zealand for 2 months while finishing up my history degree at Iowa State University. It was an experience of a lifetime! I taught in Des Moines, IA, for 2 months & then headed to my second placement Down Under. ISU (uh-huh...the "real ISU") has an international student teaching program where prospectvie student teachers apply, interview & hopefully get accepted...I was fortunate enough to be selected & get my first country choice! Highlight of my trip, you ask? Well besides a stopover in Sydney, Australia, meeting some amazing Kiwi's, seeing some of God's most beautiful creation, I went SKYDIVING! Yep, 12,000 ft tandom! My mother's first reaction when I relayed my exciting news via telephone..."you spend your money on the dumbest things!"

2. Due to my 2 years as a gymnast during my 4th-5th grade year(s), I can still do a roundoff-backhandspring; I'm no Holly Plattner, and I've definitely lost quite a bit of talent, yet that is one skill I hope to keep!

3. One of my favorite things in the world to do is SLEEP! In fact, nothing sounds postively more cozy on a cool fall morning (or winter or spring or summer) than to stay in bed! My husband is for sure if children ever come into our lives HE will be their night time parent as I am VERY dead to the world once asleep...Arlan's favorite thing to do is on a rare weekend morning or holiday off of school is to ask "What time should we set the alarm for?"...to which I exuburantly cheer "No alarm!" :) It usually makes him smile.
Sidenote, "sleeping in" at our house is usually around 6:30am-7:00am...I'll let you guess what time we normally wake up!


4. My favorite kind of history to study or read about is the American Revolution. Being a history teacher and getting asked this question fairly freqently, it still stirs my heart to think of our country's birth & how many liberities & rights we daily take for granted that were fought for during 1775-1781 and many years/time since. Books on John Adams, George Washington, and society are my favorite.

5. 38...the number of first cousins I have on the Kellenberger side of my family...my Dad has 11 siblings, so yeah, the math is exponential! To add to that math madness my Dad's mom is from a family of 13 children...the second cousin statistic...well, I'm not going to start!

6. If I ever go back to school for another degree it will probably be for a math minor...in the last 5 years I have renewed a love for Math unlike I knew I possessed.

7. 35-40 minutes...the average amount of time it takes to straighten my natural curly hair. While many women spend big bucks to get curls, I spend big minutes to get mine straight...in fact, as soon as I use my straightner on my locks, it instantly knows it is not in its most natural state. My hair was so tight-locked with curls that soon after I was born my Doorneweerd aunts were so sure I was not my parent's daughter as I looked almost looked like a different ethnicity with such tight curls!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

great list of facts Katie! Thanks for playing along!

We do need to get together sometime and discuss "The War"...that sounds so intellectual :)

I also love the Revolutionary War period. I read "Rise to Rebellion" about a year ago and it was great...it made those men seem more alive.

Jami said...

Oh my goodness, you went skydiving??!!! I'm impressed!