20 July 2011

forty years


4 decades...a generation by most accounts.

My parents were married on Saturday, July 17, 1971. They were married in an outdoor ceremony at my Great Uncle's farm only about 4 miles from Lester. My mom remembers my dear Grandmother Doorneweerd having to wipe off all the guest's chairs as it had rained the evening before. Their reception was held at the Rock Rapids community center and they estimated about 200 people attended. She remembers it being hot for a July wedding [nothing like our current weather however] and she remembers flies & bugs buzzing around her long chapel veil. Traveling in style in my Dad's beloved 1969 yellow Plymouth Roadrunner, they honeymooned in Colorado visiting places such as Pike's Peak.

not my Dad's actual Roadrunner, but something similar...my Dad bought his beloved car brand new for $2900 in 1969 and was known to have raced it a "time or two" :)
From time to time, he has kept his eyes open for one, thinking he'd like to buy one again...
yellow trucks, yellow Roadrunner & now a yellow laundry room...he does love YELLOW!


Their marriage has endured the test of time ~ when the failing marriage rate is around 60% in our country, I stand amazed that with devotion to God, each other & the relationships they have built around them, they can humbly say they have had a blessed 40 years. It doesn't come without anguish, pain, and hurt as they have buried both sets of parents ~ Henry Kellenberger back in July of 1985; Elaine Kellenberger in January of 2007; and Karoline Doorneweerd in January of 2003. My Dad has also said goodbye to 2 brothers, both in 2010 ~ one tragic, the other a blessing.

a blast from the past ~ 1995

During their 40 years, my Dad farmed & trucked and my Mom stayed at home mostly to raise us children. There are four of us total in my family ~ Lonn, 37 [married to Jammie], Emily, 34 [married to Mike], me, 31, and Adam, 25 [married to Erika]. They have 6 grandchildren.

Nov. 2010

Last weekend, we traveled back to NW Iowa to help my parents celebrate their 40th anniversary. Our small family enjoyed a nice dinner out (with NO kiddos!) and a few family get togethers as the "aunts" from Arizona also joined us for their celebration. It was good to make more memories & spend time together...regardless how short it was.


Mom & Dad this past weekend, opening their lovely Edible Arrangement from the Aunts

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Congratulations Mom & Dad...as Arlan and I celebrate our 5th anniversary next week, I'm so thankful for the example you've been to us. Your courage through the joys & sorrows in life shows a true devotion to each other.



All my love,
Kate Louise

Emily's wedding ~ March 2006

2 comments:

Schlipf family said...

beautiful post..thanks for sharing this! Love and prayers..

Ashley Baner said...

What a tribute! Great post. You will love to have this in writing. I am thinking I should ask my mom some details!!