14 January 2009

SNOW DAY!

Wahoo! When you're a teacher or a student, there are NO better words than receiving a phone call to let you know school has been canceled :)

[Please remind me of this however by about oh, June 1st or so]


Arlan and I have spent the day catching up on few things around the house, reading books, and lounging. I'll admit not a lot has been accomplished on Robin Ave. today!

I have great memories as a child in NW Iowa & having Mom come in & tell us these glorious words because as geography & weather attests up north, we heard NO SCHOOL fairly frequent. In fact, my alma mater has several snow days built in to their school year (I think it was 5) and only if you exceed that amount do you then make up days at the end of the year. My senior year we exceeded plenty ensuring the seniors had to come back after graduation to take finals...yep, we only got a diploma cover & NO diploma at the big ceremony :)

Other great snow day memories include:
  • going sledding with the town kids down down the viaduct near Lester...we'd literally brave some pretty incredible conditions to get outside & play
  • playing hours of Monopoly at my cousins...in fact, if the weather was really badl, the Monopoly game board would stay in the exact location for a day or more & my cousin Curt would keep a running tally of debts owed to other players for property-it was GREAT!
So...any snow day memories out there to share? I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

Mya hasn't caught on yet that snow days are a good thing. Each time I've told her there is no school this week she has responded with "Awww, I want to go to school!".

Anonymous said...

I don't recall any memorable snow days while I was in school, but when I was working I got snowed in. This was 2 winters ago...I think. I could not get my car of the the drive and I called in and my boss told me to just stay home (I worked in Eureka and he thought it wasn't worth the hassle). So, I put on about 4 layers, snow pants, coat, hat and Taryn and I WALKED to Kristi's house (she still lived with her parents). We had the best time just hanging out. Later that day we gathered a group of people and loaded into whatever cars were out and moving and went sledding. Keep in mind that we were all in our early to mid 20's. We went to the park out on Main St since we all remembered it had such a big hill. Well, we realized our childhood perspective was a bit off and all the parents looked at us like we were going to kidnap their children. We packed up and headed to Kennel Lake where we had the hill to ourselves. We had such a good time and all felt like little kids again! ...until the next day when we couldn't move!!!