20 March 2013

if you can't get there

I don't often use my blog as a place to document thoughts...profound or not; however, as I was scrubbing my kitchen floor this morning, a conversation [shouting-type, due to distance] occurred with my daughter that brought me to remembrance of basic teachings from our Lord...
[*note...quite a bit of prayer & thoughts can get done while down on your knees...scrubbing a kitchen floor or not!]

Haven [down in the basement]: Mom, I need to get on top of my house to fix it.
[house = Little Tikes play house]
Me: Sweetie, you shouldn't be on top of your house.
Haven: Yes, Mom...I HAVE to get on top of it...it needs fixing!
Me: Why can't you just fix the side of the house?
Haven: Because...when men fix a house, they fix the top of it!
[side note: maybe it's the year our house was built, or maybe it's just a street discount-at which point, we need to get in on it-but EVERYONE on our block has been re-shingling their roofs lately...thus the 3 year old logic!]
Me: Well, dear...for one, you have your Rapunzel dress on & your socks will make it slippery...you'll probably break your neck.  [doesn't every good mother threaten "breaking your neck" at some point?]
Haven: No mom...I will be REAL careful!  I just...I just...I just can't get there!
Me: Well...smartie...if you can't GET there, do you think you need to BE there?
 
So often, we try either too hard to accomplish something God doesn't want for us or isn't ready to reveal to us...or we try and play God.
As my determined 3 year old tried to fix her roof...time and time again...she was learning that while she wanted something so bad-very bad, apparently-she also learned that she is also 3 and there are still some things her determined little mind can't quite wrap itself around...yet.

So did she or didn't she make it to the top of her play house to fix her roof?

Well, while I have no evidence...either by photograph or my own willingness to walk downstairs and anxiously check if she made it...I did witness her pulling her socks off-"for more careful"-and heard lots of grunting & sighing and then...a loud thud with an all too quick reply:

"I"m okay...I'm uh, not hurt"!

Oh Havers!


Isaiah 55:8-9
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.




No comments: