31 March 2012

numbing...yet trusting


numb.

That is how I felt as my I listened to a voice mail on my cell phone as our plane was about to leave Atlanta headed to Johannesburg to begin our Zambia trip 3 weeks ago...

"Katie, it's confirmed...your brother Lonn has prostate cancer," records my Mom's voice.

Lonn is my oldest sibling, 38 years old and lives with his wife Jammie, children: Michael (17), Macy (8), Maden (6) and Mali (almost 2) near Lester. He began checking his own PSA score as my Dad was slowly losing his battle to prostate/bone cancer. Our Grandpa Henry Kellenberger also passed away from prostate cancer in 1985 so Lonn knew genetics are/were not in his favor. After realizing this past Feb. that his PSA had risen from last fall's score, the urologist did biopsies and 1 of the 12 margins came back cancer.

While this is medically low risk (when comparison to my Dad's original diagnosis), my brother and family are not taking chances....he has a prostectomy scheduled for this Thursday (4/4) up at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, about 3.5 hours from my hometown.

Needless to say, the amazing power of prayer is needed and appreciated at this time...for my brother, his dear wife, my still grieving mother, and the whole family in general.

Thank you in advance for your prayers...we are feeling them and trusting.

...I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you...
Genesis 26:24

6 comments:

Schlipf family said...

lifting them up in prayer..your family has been hit hard, we are thankful for God's faithfulness even in the storms. love you

Rebekah said...

Praying...i can only imagine what feelings must flood you when you hear news like this, so close after losing your Dad. Love you.

Mouseymom said...

What scary news to get as the memory of losing your dad is such a fresh wound! I am so thankful that Lon was watching his PSA so close and so thankful that they are able to take measures of prevention! I guess if he can survive hitting a train, he can pass through this with flying colors! :)

Ashley Baner said...

Oh Katie girl,

I still can't believe it. We will be praying on Thursday. Love you!

Sheryl said...

Katie - just reading your blog to get caught up. I will be praying for Lonn tomorrow - that his surgery will go well. Also will be praying for all of your family! Love you!

Tami said...

Katia...
I JUST read this!!! I feel like my heart is just bleeding for you and your family. I am PRAYING!!! Love you.