20 May 2010

my news

Tonight is a rare, rare night...the house is quiet, Haven's sleeping away, my schoolwork is caught up, house is cleaned (well, cleaned as cleaned can be), Arlan is at school for our student's Baccalaureate service, and I feel an incredible weight lifted from my shoulders-yes, weight but not burden.

For the last 4 years, I've had the privilege of teaching World & US History at PCHS and work with an incredible Social Studies department that doesn't settle for mediocrity but continues to challenge students, each other and the institution of education. I have loved each minute-truly, I love teaching...challenging students to think about history in a different way than they've done before, keeping them accountable to standards, work ethic(s), and abilities that they may not have faced before-yes, I have an intensity in my classroom but I myself take accountability to my profession seriously.

So serious, that the next chapter in my life is about to be written-this chapter was not a decision taken lightly but one that was pondered, searched, and laid at our Almighty's feet. Last Thursday, I handed our Asst. Superintendent my letter of resignation. Because even after getting an amazingly large classroom and receiving tenure, my main passion has now become little Haven. As I reflect on the many relationships that the wonderful husband/wife team of the Miller's have cultivated the last 4 years, the one relationship that matters most is my daughter. Even as I type this, tears form in my eyes knowing that I don't regret my decision but embrace the fact & time I'll get to spend with her. She has received incredible care the past semester and to those 4 sitters, I am forever grateful.

This past semester has taught me a lot regarding humility and priorities-while I'd like to think I'm Katie Miller, Mrs. Invincible, I certainly am not. My passionate all or nothing personality isn't allowing me to be 110% wife, 110% mother, and 110% teacher and I finally have the humility to admit it. Some women are amazing at this and can balance it all and yet, I find myself passionately teaching, but loving being with Haven more.

So here goes-parenting 101. I know there will be days I'll want to pull my hair out, and there will be days when Haven will want to pull my hair out, and there will be days I'll miss my teenagers at PCHS...yet, I'm content to know that being a stay-at-home Mom is an honor, takes on so many roles, and boy does Haven not know what she has coming, because I still consider myself a life-long educator!

Thanks for your prayers...Kt

9 comments:

Twyla said...

Yea, for Haven!! You will never regret it Katie..on those hair pulling days...come visit us..we will party in the basement! So happy for the Millers!!

Rebekah said...

I'm so glad you have peace in your decision. It's amazing what a tiny little bundle can do to flip our priorities around eh?! Enjoy the summer...the beginning of your life as a full-time, at home Mom! Love ya!

ps. hope Arlan is feeling motivated in going back this fall! Matt's still getting there I think.

Marla said...

Well said, KT. You will love being a full time mom. I am happy for you.

Alesa said...

love you, girl!!

megs @ whadusay said...

Praying for you Katie! If you ever want to puruse my Hearts at Home library for resources I love to share, but you'll have to come and visit in exchange! :)

The Sauders said...

Oh my dear friend! We need to hook up! I'm praying for you as you transition to a different kind of teaching and classroom, one of teaching and modeling the Gospel to your sweet Haven. Takes me right back to the Lighthouse days. Love ya girl!

Ashley Baner said...

Oh Katie!!

You will love being a stay-at-home mom. And when you feel like you are going to pull out Haven's hair:), CALL ME! We are always up for a play date!! That is the great part. There are so many things to accomplish with these little ones. Walks, snuggles, naps, going to the park, pool parties, lunch dates...the list could go on. You won't regret this even though I imagine you will have days of longing. This time will pass so quickly...so very quickly. Really, REALLY enjoy every minute. And don't blink.
She will be walking down the aisle if you do.

KKurz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KKurz said...

Oh, Katie!!! I am so so so happy for you! I know this is a decision that was heavy on your heart for a long while. I am so thrilled that you'll get to be with Miss Haven full time! :)